Better Than Balm
Say goodbye to thick, waxy cleansing balms, and HELLO to Better Than Balm! This innovative, dual-phase formula gives you a double-cleanse with just one product. Thoroughly removes makeup and cleans skin without leaving a greasy residue behind.
Why Better Than Balm? Traditional cleansing balms are difficult to rinse off, which means they can leave an oily film behind. This film creates a barrier that the skincare products you apply after cleansing can’t penetrate through, which means they won’t be effective. Thanks to its unique, dual-phase technology, Better Than Balm emulsifies much better than traditional balms and rinses off easily with no trace of residue.
In its first phase, Better Than Balm starts as a silky, lightweight oil that breaks down stubborn makeup and sunscreen. In its second phase, Better Than Balm transforms from an oil into a milky gel to cleanse away dirt and environmental pollutants. Finish by gently wiping your face with one of our Reusable Cleansing Cloths to lift away every trace of loosened makeup and debris. The result? Skin that feels impeccably clean, soft, and hydrated—never oily or greasy.
Better Than Balm was created for makeup wearers who:
- Think traditional cleansing balms are too heavy or waxy and prefer a more lightweight texture
- Want to save time by effectively double-cleansing with just one product
- Are prone to breakouts and clogged pores, which heavy oils and solid waxes aren’t recommended for
- Want their skin free of oily residue that can impede the penetration of serums applied after
This cleanser is gentle and suitable for all skin types. It can also be used for the proper removal of water-resistant sunscreens.
Feel / Smell / Look
When first applied, this cleanser feels like a luxurious, lightweight oil. Once water is added, it transforms into a milky gel that’s easily rinsed off the skin. Unlike traditional cleansing balms, which can quickly re-solidify after being applied, this cleanser glides across the skin and never dries out making it perfect for a facial massage with your hands or favorite massage tool.
This product looks like a thick, clear gel that feels silky. It has a warm, inviting scent with hints of soft rose.
- Jojoba Oil - An emollient close in structure to human sebum
- Caprylic capric triglyceride - A lightweight emollient that easily rinses off with water
- Sucrose Laurate - A sugar-based emulsifier that allows for oil-to-gel transformation
- Sunflower Seed Oil – An emollient rich in linoleic acid to soften skin
- Glycerin – A humectant to help hydrate
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Water, Sucrose Laurate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Natural Fragrance
How To Use
Step 1: Apply the cleanser to dry skin and gently massage over the face for a full 30 seconds. This will start to dissolve makeup, sunscreen, and sebum. For heavier makeup, such as long-wear or full-coverage foundation, massage for 60 seconds.
Step 2: Using your fingertips, add water to transform the cleanser into a milky gel. Massage for another 30 seconds or, for heavier makeup, another 60 seconds.
Step 3: Rinse your face with lukewarm water to remove the bulk of the cleanser and makeup.
Step 4: Use a slightly dampened Reusable Cleansing Cloth and gently wipe across your face to remove every last trace of loosened makeup and debris. Repeat as needed for heavier makeup.
Can be used nightly by all skin types for makeup removal.
How does Better Than Balm compare to a traditional cleansing balm or cleansing oil?
This cleanser is neither a balm nor an oil. Instead, it undergoes a unique transformation from oil to gel. Because of this, it won’t leave behind a greasy residue the way some cleansing balms and oils do. This means your other skincare products will be able to work effectively since they’ll be applied to clean skin free of any residue. It also removes the need for a second cleanser, effectively making it a double-cleanse in one. This cleanser also features a much more lightweight oil than most balms, giving it a modern texture.
How Do I Decide Between Better Than Balm and Vitamin Infused Cleansing Emulsion?
In short, we recommend Better Than Balm for removing heavier makeup, like long-wear foundation. The best way to break down this type of makeup is with oil, and many customers requested we come out with an oil-based cleanser for this very reason. Renée decided to create Better Than Balm because foundation makeup is smarter and longer lasting than it used to be, which means it's also harder to remove.
Vitamin Infused Cleansing Emulsion breaks down makeup as well, but it contains fewer oils so may not be as suitable for stubborn formulas.
It ultimately comes down to your personal preference. If you prefer the texture of an oil over a lotion or vice versa, choose the cleanser you enjoy using the most!
Can I Use a Second Cleanser After Better Than Balm?
Yes, if you want to! Thanks to its dual-phase technology, Better Than Balm can be used alone and doesn't require a second cleanse. However, if you prefer to use another cleanser after our balm, you are welcome to do so.
Can I use this product if I’m pregnant?
Yes. There are no ingredients in this product deemed unsafe to use during pregnancy.
What is the pH level of this product?
Because this product doesn’t contain a significant amount of water, it doesn’t have a pH level.
Is this product tested on animals?
Where can I buy this product?
Our products are sold exclusively at ReneeRouleau.com.
Where are your products made?
Our products are manufactured in the U.S. and Canada.
I took your Skin Type Quiz and was wondering if I can use products that weren't specified for my skin type.
Yes. While the skin type product recommendations are carefully selected for the needs of a specific type of skin to give the best results, many people will modify their routine with other products as needed.
I have questions about my skin, where can I get help?
Email us and we would be happy to provide expert advice!
- CCVerified BuyerAge Range 35 - 44Renée Rouleau Skin Type 2My Skin is Sensitive, Tired, Aging, Irritated54 minutes agoAge Range 35 - 44Renée Rouleau Skin Type 2My Skin is Sensitive, Tired, Aging, IrritatedRated 5 out of 5 starsWorks great
I am a skin type 2. I have never used a cleanser like this. I needed something that could remove my waterproof sunscreen, with no issue. If you follow the instructions, it works well. My face doesn't feel greasy and this leaves my skin refreshed. The scent is not overwhelming.
- MRMary-Ellen R.Verified BuyerAge Range 45 - 54Renée Rouleau Skin Type 9My Skin is Dull, Dry, Aging, Red, Sensitive23 hours agoAge Range 45 - 54Renée Rouleau Skin Type 9My Skin is Dull, Dry, Aging, Red, SensitiveRated 4 out of 5 starsGreat, but takes getting used to
I think this product is fantastic at removing makeup! It takes some practice, though. I find it takes much less than I thought to be effective. Too much and it's hard to rinse off, and then I have to use a cleanser.
- SBSydney B.Verified BuyerAge Range 18 - 24Renée Rouleau Skin Type 4My Skin is Sensitive, Acne Prone3 weeks agoAge Range 18 - 24Renée Rouleau Skin Type 4My Skin is Sensitive, Acne ProneRated 5 out of 5 starsThis smells AMAZING!!
This stuff smells just like a spa and is truly luxurious! I love that it takes my makeup off and cleanses my skin all in 1!
- SHsharon h.Verified BuyerAge Range 45 - 54Renée Rouleau Skin Type 6My Skin is Sensitive3 weeks agoAge Range 45 - 54Renée Rouleau Skin Type 6My Skin is SensitiveRated 1 out of 5 starsI cannot recommend this
It felt greasy when I was finished washing my face, I needed to clean it again with a different product. I would not recommend this if you want a clean feel after the first try.Renée Rouleau Skin Care2 weeks ago
Hey, Sharon! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our new dual-phase cleanser! I'm sorry it wasn't a favorite.
Because there isn't another product like this on the market currently, it can take a few uses to really get the hang of it! You can find step-by-step instructions under the How to Use tab, as well as in this blog post > https://blog.reneerouleau.com/better-than-balm-cleanser/
Renée also published a video showing how she uses this cleanser on our Youtube page! You can watch it here > https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eMRgAv9AVvc
Using the Reusable Cleansing Cloths or a washcloth is a crucial step, as it helps lift the cleanser and all it dissolved off the skin!
- EWEvie W.Verified BuyerAge Range 55 - 64Renée Rouleau Skin Type 6My Skin is Aging1 month agoAge Range 55 - 64Renée Rouleau Skin Type 6My Skin is AgingRated 5 out of 5 starsYet another great product!
I love the way this balm glides on, almost disappears, and then revives when I add water. Afterwards, my skin feels clean but definitely not dry or taut. This is a superior product— as are all of the Renee Rouleau line. I’ve been using Renee Rouleau for more than 5 years, and it never disappoints.