Better Than Balm
Say goodbye to thick, waxy cleansing balms, and HELLO to Better Than Balm! This innovative, dual-phase formula gives you a double-cleanse with just one product. Thoroughly removes makeup and cleans skin without leaving a greasy residue behind.
Why Better Than Balm? Traditional cleansing balms are difficult to rinse off, which means they can leave an oily film behind. This film creates a barrier that the skincare products you apply after cleansing can’t penetrate through, which means they won’t be effective. Thanks to its unique, dual-phase technology, Better Than Balm emulsifies much better than traditional balms and rinses off easily with no trace of residue.
In its first phase, Better Than Balm starts as a silky, lightweight oil that breaks down stubborn makeup and sunscreen. In its second phase, Better Than Balm transforms from an oil into a milky gel to cleanse away dirt and environmental pollutants. Finish by gently wiping your face with one of our Reusable Cleansing Cloths to lift away every trace of loosened makeup and debris. The result? Skin that feels impeccably clean, soft, and hydrated—never oily or greasy.
Better Than Balm was created for makeup wearers who:
- Think traditional cleansing balms are too heavy or waxy and prefer a more lightweight texture
- Want to save time by effectively double-cleansing with just one product
- Are prone to breakouts and clogged pores, which heavy oils and solid waxes aren’t recommended for
- Want their skin free of oily residue that can impede the penetration of serums applied after
This cleanser is gentle and suitable for all skin types. It can also be used for the proper removal of water-resistant sunscreens.
Feel / Smell / Look
When first applied, this cleanser feels like a luxurious, lightweight oil. Once water is added, it transforms into a milky gel that’s easily rinsed off the skin. Unlike traditional cleansing balms, which can quickly re-solidify after being applied, this cleanser glides across the skin and never dries out making it perfect for a facial massage with your hands or favorite massage tool.
This product looks like a thick, clear gel that feels silky. It has a warm, inviting scent with hints of soft rose.
- Jojoba Oil - An emollient close in structure to human sebum
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride - A lightweight emollient that easily rinses off with water
- Sucrose Laurate - A sugar-based emulsifier that allows for oil-to-gel transformation
- Sunflower Seed Oil - An emollient rich in linoleic acid to soften skin
- Glycerin - A humectant to help hydrate
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Water, Sucrose Laurate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Natural Fragrance
How To Use
Step 1: Apply the cleanser to dry skin and gently massage over the face for a full 30 seconds. This will start to dissolve makeup, sunscreen, and sebum. For heavier makeup, such as long-wear or full-coverage foundation, massage for 60 seconds.
Step 2: Using your fingertips, add water to transform the cleanser into a milky gel. Massage for another 30 seconds or, for heavier makeup, another 60 seconds.
Step 3: Rinse your face with lukewarm water to remove the bulk of the cleanser and makeup.
Step 4: Use a slightly dampened Reusable Cleansing Cloth and gently wipe across your face to remove every last trace of loosened makeup and debris. Repeat as needed for heavier makeup.
Can be used nightly by all skin types for makeup removal.
How does Better Than Balm compare to a traditional cleansing balm or cleansing oil?
This cleanser is neither a balm nor an oil. Instead, it undergoes a unique transformation from oil to gel. Because of this, it won’t leave behind a greasy residue the way some cleansing balms and oils do. This means your other skincare products will be able to work effectively since they’ll be applied to clean skin free of any residue. It also removes the need for a second cleanser, effectively making it a double-cleanse in one. This cleanser also features a much more lightweight oil than most balms, giving it a modern texture.
How Do I Decide Between Better Than Balm and Vitamin Infused Cleansing Emulsion?
In short, we recommend Better Than Balm for removing heavier makeup, like long-wear foundation. The best way to break down this type of makeup is with oil, and many customers requested we come out with an oil-based cleanser for this very reason. Renée decided to create Better Than Balm because foundation makeup is smarter and longer lasting than it used to be, which means it's also harder to remove.
Vitamin Infused Cleansing Emulsion breaks down makeup as well, but it contains fewer oils so may not be as suitable for stubborn formulas.
It ultimately comes down to your personal preference. If you prefer the texture of an oil over a lotion or vice versa, choose the cleanser you enjoy using the most!
Can I Use a Second Cleanser After Better Than Balm?
Yes, if you want to! Thanks to its dual-phase technology, Better Than Balm can be used alone and doesn't require a second cleanse. However, if you prefer to use another cleanser after our balm, you are welcome to do so.
Can I use this product if I’m pregnant?
Yes. There are no ingredients in this product deemed unsafe to use during pregnancy.
What is the pH level of this product?
Because this product doesn’t contain a significant amount of water, it doesn’t have a pH level.
Is this product tested on animals?
Where can I buy this product?
Our products are sold exclusively at ReneeRouleau.com.
Where are your products made?
Our products are manufactured in the U.S. and Canada.
I took your Skin Type Quiz and was wondering if I can use products that weren't specified for my skin type.
Yes. While the skin type product recommendations are carefully selected for the needs of a specific type of skin to give the best results, many people will modify their routine with other products as needed.
I have questions about my skin, where can I get help?
Email us and we would be happy to provide expert advice!
- AAmanda8 minutes agoRated 5 out of 5 stars5 Stars
Feels so good on the skin!
- JBJennifer B.Verified BuyerAge Range 45 - 54Renée Rouleau Skin Type 6My Skin is Sun Damaged, Aging, Sensitive3 months agoAge Range 45 - 54Renée Rouleau Skin Type 6My Skin is Sun Damaged, Aging, SensitiveRated 5 out of 5 starsLove This!
I have used the cleansing emulsion for years but thought I would give this a try. After a couple of weeks of use, I love it. Takes off make up, skin feels really soft, and have not had any breakouts . Actually think my skin looks more hydrated too.
- RRebecaVerified BuyerAge Range 35 - 44Renée Rouleau Skin Type 2My Skin is Oily, Acne Prone4 months agoAge Range 35 - 44Renée Rouleau Skin Type 2My Skin is Oily, Acne ProneRated 2 out of 5 starsWish I liked it!
I will start off with saying I love all of the other products I have tried and was hoping this balm would be another amazing product. It feel short for a few reasons for me:
1. It didn’t get all of my eye make up off and I don’t wear water proof anything so I ended up having to double cleanse. This product is touted as not having to be a double cleanse product (I used the Renée reusable cleansing cloths to remove my makeup) but I had to do so to get all of my eye makeup off.
2. I didn’t enjoy the consistency of the balm. Maybe it is because I’m used to a solid balm and not an oily consistency balm.
3. It left an oily film behind so I felt a follow up cleanser was needed to get rid of the film.
I’m still glad I gave it a try as this is not what my usual experience has been with Renee products and I realize not every product will work for everyone.
- NCNancy C.Verified BuyerAge Range 65+Renée Rouleau Skin Type 6My Skin is Aging4 months agoAge Range 65+Renée Rouleau Skin Type 6My Skin is AgingRated 5 out of 5 starsA pleasant surprise
I never used a cleansing balm before and wasn't completely convinced that it would be effective in removing makeup. I was wrong. I only need a little bit to cover my whole face. It not only removes my makeup but my face feels soft afterwards prior to toning and moisturizing. I love the fact that when water is added, it is so creamy and feels wonderful on the face. I would highly recommend.
- HMHeather M.Verified BuyerAge Range 35 - 44Renée Rouleau Skin Type 9My Skin is Red, Dry, Sensitive4 months agoAge Range 35 - 44Renée Rouleau Skin Type 9My Skin is Red, Dry, SensitiveRated 3 out of 5 starsTwo times does the trick
I still had to double cleanse and honestly, my normal cleanser (the RR vitamin infused) works better than this. Disappointing since this product claims to be a stand alone cleanser.